The Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) project is a mission mode project under the National, e-Governance Plan being implemented by the Ministry of Home Affairs. The project aims at creating a comprehensive and integrated system and a nation-wide networked solution for connecting more than 15,000 Police Stations and nearly 6,000 higher offices in 28 States and 7 UTs of the country for sharing of real-time crime and criminal information.
The project has been conceptualized based on the principle of ‘Centralized Planning and Decentralized Implementation’. A Core Application Software (CAS) is being developed with common definitions, scheme and specifications at the Central level which would be handed over to the States/UTs for State specific customization. However, States which have been allowed to continue to run on their existing applications have to align their existing software to facilitate information exchange with CAS.
The States/UTs have complete operational independence in project implementation. The implementation is through Bundle of Services wherein a System Integrator agency implements all the requisite services as defined by Service level agreements with the States/UTs. A strong governance mechanism with various Committees has also been created as a part of CCTNS project to ensure quality and for timely completion of project.
- Make the police functioning citizen friendly, transparent, accountable, effective and efficient by automating the process and functions at the level of the police stations and other police offices at various levels.
- Improving delivery of citizen-centric services through effective usage of Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
- Facilitate collection, storage, retrieval, analysis, transfer and sharing of information among police stations, districts, State headquarters and other organizations/ agencies, including those at Government level.
- Enabling and assisting the senior Police Officers in better management of police force.
- Keep track of the progress of the crime and criminal investigation and prosecution cases, including progress of cases in the courts.
- Reduction in manual and redundant record keeping.
The CCTNS project aims at providing online services to the Citizens. The following is an indicative list of the same:
- Filing of complaints/information to the concerned police stations.
- Obtaining the status of the complaint or case registered at police station.
- Obtaining the copies of FIRs, post-mortem reports and other permissible documents etc.
- Details of arrested persons/wanted criminals and their illegal activities etc.
- Details of missing/kidnapped persons and their matching with arrested, unidentified persons and dead bodies.
- Details of stolen/recovered vehicles, arms and other properties.
- Submission of requests for issue/renewal of various NOCs, clearances and permits and status of such requests online.
- Verification requests for servants, employment, passport, senior citizen registrations etc.
- Portal for sharing information and enabling citizens to download required forms/certificates etc.
A Core Application Software (CAS) has been developed and is being tested by the Software Development Agency at the Central level. The CAS would be implemented both at Central level and States/UTs to enable information exchange for crime and criminal tracking as per objectives of CCTNS project. The CAS would be further customized as required by the States/UTs and implemented at States/UTs by the System Integrator agencies.
A nation-wide network and connectivity solution is being implemented by the network solution provider and the readiness survey is currently underway for implementation of the network. It has been completed for 28 States/UTs as of 15.03.2012
The commissioning of IT infrastructure for implementation of national data centre and disaster recovery site arein advanced stage. Deployment of CAS will happen after software certification by STQC. System Integrators have been finalized in 16 States/UTs and rest are in various stages of finalization. All States/UTs have implemented project initiation activities in terms of capacity building and strengthening of training institutions.