There are 790 ESI Centres in the country including Madhya Pradesh.
The availability of medical equipments and medicines in ESI Hospitals in the country is generally satisfactory. However, there are vacancies of doctors in ESI Hospitals. There are no separate sanctioned posts of lady doctors.
Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has taken several steps for revamping and modernization of ESI Hospitals and dispensaries to provide better health services. The various steps taken are as under:
1. Hospital Development Committees have been constituted in all ESI Hospitals and have been given adequate administrative and financial powers for taking decisions for improvement in medical care facilities.
2. ESIC has under taken modernization & upgradation of hospitals and providing modern equipments for diagnostic and clinical services.
3. To facilitate early sanction of equipments for hospitals, Senior State Medical Commissioners/State Medical Commissioners, ESIC at State level have been delegated powers to sanction equipments up to Rs.25 lacs per unit.
4. For ensuring regular supply of medicines, ESIC formulates rate contracts for allopathic and Ayurvedic drugs and the same are sent to all the State Government for procurement of medicines.
5. ESI Corporation is grading its hospitals and dispensaries by reputed organizations. Further action has been initiated for getting ISO certification in respect of hospitals and dispensaries.
6. The expenditure on super specialty treatment is totally borne by ESI Corporation outside the ceiling since 01.08.2008 and ESIC has entered into tie up arrangement with reputed Government/private hospitals for super-specialty services and is providing cashless and hassle-free services to the ESI beneficiaries.
7. Besides, ESI Corporation has under taken a project for starting medical colleges, nursing colleges, dental colleges and training school for other para medical staff in ESIC /ESI Hospitals.
8. ESIC has appointed part-time specialist/super specialists directly in State ESI Hospitals to ensure that proper services are available to ESI beneficiaries. The total expenditure on this is borne by ESI Corporation. ESI Corporation is already running one 50-bedded hospital in Ujjain along with 2 dispensaries and one Branch Office.
This information was given by the Minister of Labour and Employment Shri Mallikarjun Kharge in reply in reply to a written question in the Lok Sabha