Islamabad, Dec 28 (IANS) A woman kept a coal stove burning in her room in this Pakistani capital, causing noxious fumes to claim her as well as her three children’s lives.

A fourth child, 10-year-old Shoaib Hassan, survived as he woke up gasping for breath. He moved out of the room and into the balcony, an act that saved his life.

The incident came to light when Hassan’s uncle Ramzan Ahmad came to look up the family as his father was out of town, reported Dawn.

Hassan told the police that his mother had cooked dinner on firewood and after feeding them, she tucked them in. She left the coal stove burning after closing the door and shutting the single window.

Print Friendly